I live in a remote area of the UK – can you still help me sell my property?

Yes – we can assist you no matter where you are based within the UK.

How do you value my property?

We choose three estate agents in your local area to value your property. These agents are either on our elite panel or can be chosen by you.

What happens after the agents have valued my property?

We compile a detailed report on your property, providing you with area statistics and local comparable information. We want to achieve the best price for your property and this report will give you the evidence to show why we have recommended a particular marketing price to you. Once you have agreed on a marketing price with us, we will go ahead and put your property on the market with three local agents.

Do you keep in touch once my property is on the market?

Yes we do. You will receive weekly updates from a dedicated member of our marketing team. They will be your point of contact for all updates on viewings and offers. Selling your property is our priority.

What happens when I accept an offer on my property?

When you are happy to accept an offer on your property, we will be on hand to support you through the selling process. We will recommend solicitors on your behalf and from there, you will be given a dedicated Sales Progressor who will see your sale through to completion. You will receive regular updates from your Sales Progressor who will be available with any questions you may have regarding your sale.

What is an EPC and when do I need to get one?

An EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) is a certificate that records how energy efficient a property is using a rating system from A – G, where A is extremely efficient and G is very inefficient. The EPC will be generated by a qualified assessor, who will visit the property and produce a report. The certificate also shows what energy rating could be achieved if all recommendations from the assessor were to be carried out. By law, EPC’s need to be in place within 7 days of a property going to market. MME can arrange this for you.

I have been told I need a survey on my property – what do I do?

Depending on the survey, they allow prospective buyers & owners to know the value of a property, a property’s current condition and possible works needed to be carried out. MME can arrange these types of surveys along with Gas Safety Certificates and Electrical Reports. The survey will be completed by a qualified surveyor, who will visit the property and produce a report. This report will be sent to us & we will advise you accordingly.

I want to let you know what I thought of your service – how can I do this?

When your property has exchanged contracts, we will send you an electronic questionnaire asking you a series of questions. We value your comments, good or bad, and appreciate any feedback you may have.